Monday, March 23, 2009

Lotus Tattoo

Thinking of getting a small purple opening lotus tattoo on my back. The meaning of the lotus flower seems so right for where I am at this moment and what I continue to try to achieve. I intend hopefully to put it on the back of my heart on my back to remind me also to approach the world with an open hearth. Specifically fitting at I am becoming a therapist.

Here is the meaning of the purple lotus:
Among all the lotus flowers the purple lotus flower is considered one of the most beautiful and very sacred. The purple lotus flower is so special because it is rare and distinctive. The unique purple lotus flower is found in many parts of India. The reason for the purple lotus being a scared flower is its condition of growth.

The lotus flower represents all that man desires to achieve; it is the metaphysical representation of the heights of human consciousness. The purple lotus flower germinates at the bottom of a muddy, filthy pond and is surrounded by muck. However with time the lotus blossoms and raises its beautiful pure head above all the filth. The lotus blooms as a beautiful flower away from the dirt turning its face towards the light. This is the spiritual height at which all of mankind wants to reach. To live within this real world, yet remain detached from all its evils is what a human being strives to achieve.

In India the Hindu Goddess of wealth Laxmi is seated on a sacred purple lotus flower. In some esoteric sects the eight petals of the lotus represent the noble eight fold path. The purple lotus flower is known as the mystic lotus. Apart from its spiritual connotations, the lotus bed and stems are used as edible items in many cultures. All these religious and spiritual symbolisms make it a popular design for tattoos. The purple lotus flower has a beautiful mild fragrance; all this in combination make the purple lotus flower spectacular.

Comparitvely these are the other meanings for other lotus flowers but they didn't quite seem to fit. I don't see myself as close to the devine etc. as I see that as in body human form we will always just be trying to achieve understanding and spiritual perfection. Don't think I can achieve that in this form. So that omits the White or Pink lotus. Blue - victory of the spirit over the senses/Red -purity of the heart, which would seem the closest other option. I just don't see myself with a red or blue flower. The purple lotus is the most rare/beautiful and is considered the mystic lotus. Other than the other meanings of the lotus I like that it also has been symbolic of the 8 fold path as I've been studying Buddhism since I was in highschool.

)White Lotus (Skt. pundarika; Tib. pad ma dkar po): This represents the state of spiritual perfection and total mental purity (bodhi). It is associated with the White Tara and proclaims her perfect nature, a quality which is reinforced by the color of her body.

2). Red Lotus (Skt. kamala; Tib: pad ma chu skyes): This signifies the original nature and purity of the heart (hrdya). It is the lotus of love, compassion, passion and all other qualities of the heart. It is the flower of Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva of compassion.

3). Blue Lotus (Skt. utpala; Tib. ut pa la): This is a symbol of the victory of the spirit over the senses, and signifies the wisdom of knowledge. Not surprisingly, it is the preferred flower of Manjushri, the bodhisattva of wisdom.

4). Pink Lotus (Skt. padma; Tib. pad ma dmar po): This the supreme lotus, generally reserved for the highest deity. Thus naturally it is associated with the Great Buddha himself."




Purple Lotus Flower by ~shimadatattoofamily on deviantART

*An addition I thought about adding a heart to the lotus flower. Possibly inside the
flower so the lotus petals opening make the heart partially visible. This feels more fitting to me and encompasses everything that I have been wanting. The heart is often in Eastern religions discussed as a lotus that opens slowly to shine the light from within. Also found a tattoo parlor in Sherman Oaks that I am interested in. The artist that I like so far is Sal from Subculture Tattoo. His work is very vibrant, amazing color technique, definition, etc. http://subculturetattoo.com/

Yesterday, 4/15/09 I checked out Studio City Tattoo which is a Ye Old Tattoo Parlor. It's pirate inspired which definitely goes well with the tattoo artists being called Captain so and so. My friend Amy who is pretty comfortable in tattoo shops came with me and we had fun pouring over books. I liked some of the work by this artist named Dana. He seems to do really well at the coloring and everything has pretty good definition. He wasn't there but I mentioned quickly to one of the guys what I was looking for. When I told him that I wanted a lotus, he said beautiful, looked at me and said it fits. I was wearing colorful/hippish clothing so prob gave him that idea. The guys were really friendly but don't know if its the place for me yet. Amy and I went by Subculture around 9:30pm but unfortunately it was closed even though they are supposed to be open until 11pm. Perhaps they had no appointments. We'll keep on looking...this kind of thing demands research, patience, etc.

6/1 - So unfortunately the tattoo artist that I liked at Subculture, Sal is no longer there but my friend Amy had me check out this place called zulu tattoo. Now they specialize in a lot of tribal/spiritual tattoos. I like their emphasis that this is a huge thing, and what ever is chosen is a sacred mark. Also they even have the option to get reiki while you are getting a tattoo. As being attuned myself I feel that it would make it an even more meaningful and more relaxing process. Don't know how relaxed I will be with having a needle at my skin but perhaps I can meditate into the pain.

I have an appointment on Wednesday, 6/3/09 at 6:30pm to have a consultation with Misha at zulu. She seems cool and like her art. She has done lots of lotus tattoos but hope that she will sit with me and we can really specialize it. Its becoming more real now. Getting a little nervous but excited!

No comments: