Friday, May 22, 2009

Ritual #26 Sunset Beach Ritual



5/20/09
My friend Deborah lives in Venice and often times will ride her bike down to the beach with a camera to feel connected to the earth and unwind. She shared her ritual with me:

"Here is a ritual I have that I will share with you as it is has brought me much peace and perspective over time. I walk or ride to the beach (you can drive) with my camera and/or my journal to watch the sun go down. As I watch I look intently at everything I see, I breathe in the salty air and smile to myself. I see the massive power and mystery of the ocean and realize how big and expansive the world is. I see the beauty of the sand, the sky, the birds, the dolphins, the happy people also appreciating the paradise we live in."

I started the day off with a dim thought to go to the beach for the ritual but then it was decided when I got a call from my friend Janis that she had rented a brand new gold mustang convertible to drive down to San Diego in. She said she would wait around so we could take a joy ride. So we met up took pics of ourselves with the car a bit and then headed off to Pacific Coast Highway towards Malibu to watch the sunset. With the top down and the radio blasting we felt like a hot stuff. When we were about to turn on Pacific Coast Highway, there was a huge group of 10 year old boys that were crossing the street. They all shouted nice car when we went by. That was fun. The sun was just setting as we pulled up to the Malibu Pier.

I got out and went to stand on the rocks overlooking the small drop to the ocean below. I took in the sound of the waves crashing to shore, the seagulls flying and squawking overhead, the smell of salt, the silver rippling of the water changing color from the setting sun. I was very peaceful and felt free of worries. I felt a sense of oneness with the ocean and sky. It was beautiful and such a great way to wind down the week.

Janis and I had a delicious meal at the restaurant right on the pier call The Beachcomber. I had grilled salmon, with veggies, and coconut rice. It was so good.
It felt surreal to have a nice California Pinot in my hand while watching the waves crash to shore. I have been so lucky in the last week and a half to see so much beauty.

I felt truly honored that Deb shared with me a ritual that is close and dear to her and her own personal development.

No comments: